Saturday, October 08, 2005

Running

If you're into running, something that is definitely worth checking out is "Chi Running," a book by Danny Dreyer (an ultra-marathoner). The basics of the method are described here.

I've been running more regularly lately. Several weeks ago, I tried to run this 5.3 mile route that is pretty hilly. Plus, it was about a mile further than I had been running at that point. I had to stop and walk in several places (especially the hills), and when I was through, I was so winded and tired that I could barely move another step. The next week, I got the Chi Running book in the mail, and then tried the same route the next weekend. I was able to run (well, jog) the entire 5.3 miles, and I didn't feel nearly as winded or tired at the end. I was stunned to see such instantaneous improvement.

Since then, I've been able to increase the mileage on my weekly long run. Today I ran 7.7 miles, and again, didn't feel particularly tired at the end. I wasn't even really out of breath. It wasn't very fast -- about 9 minutes for the first mile and 9:30 for the last. But just being able to cover the distance is a nice feeling.

In addition to my Saturday long run, I run twice during the week, typically 1.5 miles at a faster pace. Since taking up Chi Running, I've also been able to increase my speed on that run. This past Thursday, my 1.5-mile time was 10:23, or around 6:55 a mile. That's not anything particularly special, but it's fast for me.

The biggest thing that seems to have helped -- and this is discussed in much more detail in the book -- is learning to keep the calf muscles as relaxed as possible. Instead of taking each step as if you're hopping off your toes (thus putting a huge amount of stress on the calf), you keep your calf and toes relaxed and instead just pick up the leg with each step. I was skeptical at first -- and such a technique probably wouldn't work for sprinters -- but it really worked for me. You still end up being able to run from Point A to Point B (or vice versa, depending on personal preference), but it is much less work.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill Baar said...

I'm drinking a beer while reading blogs.

Now I feel guilty.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Kate.Kingsley said...

I've just bought this book and am really looking forward to getting into the technique ~ I need all the help I can get, as I'm running a half marathon (my first!) in a few weeks.

Glad to hear you found it such a help.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Kate.Kingsley said...

I've just bought this book and am really looking forward to getting into the technique ~ I need all the help I can get, as I'm running a half marathon (my first!) in a few weeks.

Glad to hear you found it such a help.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home